Friday, March 16, 2012

Ladies…? May I please ask you to vote? Please!?

Can I just say: "WTF!?" I know you have a lot on your plate right now with the whole... errr.... everything. But please ladies, let there be an awakening, a unifying gasp of incomprehension at what these guys, these politicians, are trying to stick in American Citizens in the guise of 'smaller government'. I know my opening here is disjointed. But what I am talking about here is the whole Republican War On Women. It is frustratingly becoming too real to be ignored.

#waronwomen

So Ladies…? May I please ask you to vote? Please!?

I'm a guy. I don't fear transvaginal probing. But the idea of the government forcing you women to undergo unnecessary medical procedures based on the moral precepts of a predominantly morally bankrupt elite power group is a little Orwellian. What’s next? Rats in a cage strapped to our faces?

And, if you do not know who George Orwell is... Go read a damn book!

They used to make 1984, Animal Farm, The Crucible, The Scarlet Letter, and other books a part of High School English. I was no Rhodes Scholar... but I do get offended by the lack of critical thinking and the preponderance of double speak that I see in today’s discourse.

If you have not read George Orwell's 1984, please go read it. And if a whole book is too much? At least check out its page on Wikipedia. Cliff notes? Something.

This stuff is getting surreal.

Please America!? Vote these nutjobs out of office! Please?

You know what? In a recent comment section I saw someone post how this kind of stuff made them want to cry and I responded with:
“Don't cry... {:o(

VOTE!

VOTE these Neanderthals out of office, {:op”

But, I had to go back and clarify my statement. I did not disagree with the guttural reaction that person was feeling. I felt it too. When I went to further my comment, I found that I did not have enough room to fully make my point. So, I’m here adding what I think is important. Many others probably do too. But this is just a little slice of the internet. I have no delusions of grandeur or thoughts of fame. I just think there has to be one or two other people out there who believe much like I do. So, in response to my comment about not crying, this is what I wanted to say:

You know what? I take that first part back. It's ok if you want to cry. It is a false machismo that makes me deny my sadness and teariness. I should not project that onto you. And truth be told: This stuff makes me emotionally vulnerable.

I am deeply saddened as well. I grew up in a time that seems to have passed away into memory. I was not old enough to vote when the E.R.A. Amendment failed to get ratified in 1982. But I wanted my mom to vote for it. I wanted to vote for it. And, I hoped my dad would vote for it.

It amazed me that it could not get ratified by the states. The entire text of the amendment was pretty straightforward:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

It seemed as if it was becoming less likely to be needed in the following decade, and it slipped out of my mind. But now? Today?

Yeah... it does make me want to cry. What is wrong with this country?

I had a crush on Benazir Bhutto when she was the Prime Minister of Pakistan. I like strong, independent, mindful women. And, as I look back over the last 30 years of history I keep thinking: "What Happened?"

Pakistan, Pakistan! Pakistan had a woman as a leader less than 20 years ago. And now? What the...?

So yeah... maybe it is time to shed a tear for what is being done to women in this world today. But, as we wipe those tears from our eyes can we please remember who put them there? And vote. Vote. Vote. VOTE!

There has never been a more important time for everyone to vote! It is not just a right. It is a responsibility. And, it is the right thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment